Legal Counsel - Michigan Long Term Care Ombudsman Program
The Michigan Elder Justice Initiative (MEJI) is seeking a lawyer to serve as Legal Counsel to the Michigan Long Term Care Ombudsman Program (MLTCOP). MEJI/MLTCOP is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
MEJI advocates for low-income older adults and people with disabilities on issues related to healthcare, benefits, long term care, elder abuse, and individual rights. It also houses MLTCOP and the MI Health Link Ombudsman. MLTCOP promotes the rights of long term care consumers and seeks to improve the quality of care and life experienced by residents of nursing homes, homes for the aged, and adult foster care homes. MLTCOP oversees local ombudsmen across the state who help individual residents resolve complaints and educate residents, their families, and the public on long term care consumers’ rights and options. The program also advocates for systemic reforms that will benefit over 100,000 Michigan long term care residents.
The Legal Counsel will:
- Provide consultation and support to state and local ombudsman staff and legal services attorneys representing residents in licensed long term care settings;
- Assist in the MLTCOP’s performance of its official duties including complaint resolution and systems advocacy to protect the health, safety, welfare, and rights of residents;
- Represent residents of long term care facilities in administrative advocacy and some litigation concerning guardianship, involuntary discharge proceedings, benefits, individual rights, and other issues;
- Assist the MLTCOP and local ombudsman staff if any legal action is brought or threatened against them for actions taken in the course of their professional duties;
- Promote access to legal services for long term care consumers;
- Work closely with MEJI’s staff to coordinate advocacy for long term care consumers with MEJI’s elder abuse prevention efforts and MEJI’s other work on behalf of long term care consumers; and,
- Provide statewide education and support to lawyers, providers, advocates, and others regarding the rights and interests of long term care consumers.
This is a full-time position in Lansing, MI. Successful applicants will possess excellent research and writing skills, an interest in systemic advocacy, some litigation experience, great people skills, good judgment, and an ability to juggle multiple responsibilities. Experience advocating for long term care consumers or other vulnerable populations is preferred. Applicants must be able to travel in-state and out-of-state with limited overnight stays. Applicants must be attorneys licensed to practice in Michigan or be eligible to waive in. A minimum of 3 years’ experience is required. Salary is from $46,000 DOE and includes excellent benefits; an attorney with 5 years’ experience can expect a salary of approximately $55,000 depending on experience.
Please email your resume with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, “MLTCOP Legal Counsel Position.” Please indicate whether you are applying to any other positions with LSSCM, MAP, or MEJI. If you have questions about the program or the position, please email Shelby Coolbaugh at email@example.com.
The position is open until filled; applications received by January 21, 2019 will receive priority.
Date Posted: January 7, 2019