Legal Counsel - Michigan Long Term Care Ombudsman Program
The Michigan Elder Justice Initiative (MEJI) is seeking a lawyer to serve as Legal Counsel to the Michigan Long Term Care Ombudsman Program (MLTCOP).
MEJI advocates for low-income older adults and people with disabilities on issues related to healthcare, benefits, long term care, elder abuse, and individual rights. MEJI serves as the home for the Michigan Long Term Care Ombudsman Program (MLTCOP) and the MI Health Link Ombudsman program as well as overseeing two local long term care ombudsman programs. It also engages in elder abuse prevention and remediation efforts. In addition, MEJI provides advice and support to legal services lawyers and other advocates serving low income older adults and people with disabilities across the state. MEJI also undertakes systemic advocacy efforts, often in collaboration with state and federal advocacy partners, and works closely with MAP’s Crime Victims Legal Assistance Project for victims of elder abuse.
The Legal Counsel will:
- Provide consultation and support to state and local ombudsman staff and legal services attorneys representing residents in licensed settings;
- Assist in the MLTCOP’s performance of its official duties including complaint resolution and systems advocacy to protect the health, safety, welfare, and rights of residents;
- Represent residents of long term care facilities in administrative advocacy and some litigation concerning guardianship, involuntary discharge proceedings, benefits, individual rights, and other issues;
- Assist the MLTCOP and local ombudsman staff if any legal action is brought or threatened against them for actions taken in the course of their professional duties;
- Promote access to legal services for long term care consumers;
- Work closely with MEJI’s staff to coordinate advocacy for long term care consumers with MEJI’s elder abuse prevention efforts and MEJI’s other work on behalf of long term care consumers; and,
- Provide statewide education and support to lawyers, providers, advocates, and others regarding the rights and interests of long term care consumers.
This is a full-time position in Lansing, MI. Successful applicants will possess excellent research and writing skills, an interest in systemic advocacy, litigation experience, great people skills, good judgment, and an ability to juggle multiple responsibilities. Experience advocating for long term care consumers or other older people and people with disabilities is strongly preferred. Applicants must be able to travel in-state and out-of-state with limited overnight stays. Applicants must be attorneys licensed to practice in Michigan or be eligible to waive in. A minimum of 5 years’ experience is required. Salary is from $44,000 DOE and includes excellent benefits; an attorney with 5 years’ experience can expect a salary of approximately $53,000 depending on experience.
MEJI/MLTCOP is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage minorities, women, and persons with disabilities to apply.
Please email your resume with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, “MLTCOP Legal Counsel Position.” Please indicate whether you are applying to any other positions with LSSCM, MAP, or MEJI. If you have questions about the program or the position, please email State Long Term Care Ombudsman Salli Pung at email@example.com.
The position is open until filled; applications received by July 18, 2018 will receive priority.
Date Posted: June 20, 2018